IDS mailing list archives

IPS comparison

From: Rubayat.Zahir () csfb com
Date: 1 Sep 2005 18:40:21 -0000

IPS/IDS can claim all they want on Zero Day exploits. I can assure you its a player's luck. I had client during my Big
X career who were saved by ISS on SQL Slammer, and hit hard on Nimda and Code Red. Its really a players luck. All
IDS/IPS require full customization to your environment (i.e. Applications, Code, Platforms etc.). Second of all, based
on the patterns I have seen, it is truly a variance among vendors (ISS, Enterasys, Cisco, Snort, etc.). Lastly, the
best of all IDS's are ones that has the capability to perform attack correlations.

Some IPSs are software (e.g. those from Computer Associates, McAfee, Snort) that you run on your own servers (which may
be Windows and/or Linux-based), while others are dedicated appliances (including SonicWALL, McAfee, Juniper and Cisco).
Your company may have a policy that limits you to one type or the other.

To be frank, In many cases, IDS and IPS it’s the same piece of kit, that’s just been re-categorised by the vendors -
protection seems an awful lot more marketable than just detection (especially if a detection system just writes an
alert to a log file that you only get a chance to look at once a week).

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.