IDS mailing list archives

Re: Ossim

From: Andre Ludwig <andre.ludwig () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:22:48 -0400

Lets not forget Prelude..

http://prelude-ids.org/article.php3?id_article=66

Rather interesting functionality with it as well.

Andre

On 21 Sep 2005 15:02:49 -0000, luciani.giorgio () gmail com
<luciani.giorgio () gmail com> wrote:

Hi!
I'm an It engineering student co Politecnico di Milano. I'm studying ids correlation for my thesis
and I'm now working on ossim. I think it's a very interesting tool, although it has some problems:
1. lack of complete documentation
2. server (which implements correlation) c source code completely obscure: not a single comment in all
the source code, nor a single doc about implementation. Agent and Framework are better commented
(and they're in python, perl and php).
3. difficult installation (except for debian or fedora users); you have precompiled binaries, but
building from source is a pain (you have to patch other tools as well) and badly documented.
4. not portable (server doesn't work well on *bsd)
Moreover, i think they should have used pure idmef, not a different implementation.
Anyway, if you can get it work, it's really powerful imho. I think correlation engine could be
empowered (i'm working on that) because it's composed by a simple fsa implementation (you have to manually
insert all possible event chain) and a very simple anomaly algorithm (calm).
This is my impression, and I'd really like to know other's too.
I'd like to know if someone's tried to work on server sources, and if he's got some documentation
about this.
Regards
Giorgio Luciani

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.