IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort and Nessus Signature

From: Teemu Schaabl <teemu () lynix net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:25:32 +0200

cruxiezzzzz () yahoo com(cruxiezzzzz () yahoo com)@2005.09.16 06:52:56 -0000:
Hi All,

I am doing some research into integrating Snort and Nessus together.
Just wondering if there are any Snort or Nessus Experts out there that
can tell me if there are using the same tables for their signatures?
cause i understand that they both use the CVE and BID tracking. Not to sure
bout the way their signatures are stored though. would be great if
anyone out there can shed some light on this.

nessus implements a scripting language, NASL (iirc nessus attack
scripting language), these nasl files (plugins) are stored in flat
files. some of them have dependencies (it doesn't make sense running
further scanning of applications which are definitly not installed on
$TARGET). they are _not_ just "patterns".
So what you got to do is extracting the actual attack and store it in
your database. be aware that some of the pdtterns in these plugins
will produce false positives if you just take them and match them
against some logfiles/traffic/whatever without thinking about the
dependencies. (keep in mind that we are talking about over 2500
plugins to go through and evaluate)

what is the idea behind your "integration"?

regards
teemu
--
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision
 for the limits of the world." - Schopenhauer