IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS and Spywares

From: Matt Jonkman <matt () infotex com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:45:48 -0500

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 18:38 +0100, Omar A. Herrera wrote:
Hi Matt,

Hey Omar!

The problem is not related to the capabilities or deficiencies of other
security controls. This is a problem of visibility, and if you suggest that
a network based security control has better visibility than a host based
security control for threats for which most of their characteristics are
only visible while running locally on a system (e.g. key loggers, or even
simple backdoors that open ports), then I will insist that your view is
flawed.

Thats definitely true, a host based system has the ability to detect
keyloggers, etc in use. Until the next thing comes along that evades
detection, they have to learn about it, and implement things to detect
it. Just as we do in IDS and network traffic analysis.

But the big thing that all of these malwares have in common, and what
they have to do, is either send data they collect somewhere, or take
commands from somewhere. And to do this they have to talk to someone,
and that's where IDS can see them, and IPS can stop them. No matter what
new OS hook, or what they disable or defeat on the host, they still have
to get data through the network.

On the other hand, you can detect and prevent this sort of stuff at the host
level (blocking hooking attempts for the keyboard, for example) and the best
part of it is that it doesn't matter if it is a completely new or custom
made spyware, or trojan, or any other kind of malware where you can install
this capability. So, this clearly shows that the visibility (and
consequently the identification) of these threats is much better at host
level, and whether these controls have still flaws or not does not affect
their potential visibility of these threats, which in any case will be much
better than any network based security control.

At many levels you can be effective at the host. But inevitably there
will be found a way to evade or disable these protections. Likely it'll
be defeated by researchers quickly, but it exists. We need layers of
security. Hence my comment about a system policing itself. You need
outside oversight of any system to ensure it's not compromised.

I never implied that HIDS isn't useful or effective. But you can't put
your eggs into one basket, especially when that basket is expected to
police itself.

I understand that you might fear putting the protection so close to the
system. But if you are that paranoid, then you should keep your IDS and
install and hIDS or preferably hIPS right away. But you shouldn't rely
solely on a less effective tool for defending against these threats, just
because it gives the impression that it will keep threats farther from your
critical systems.

That was my point as well. Layers. If you can afford hids on all
systems, and the load and such isn't an impact, and there is a hids for
every OS and server you run, then it's a great tool. But nearly any
network can afford IDS (snort is free), and with basic training can
implement an effective network-wide control.

First, a worm has different characteristics from a spyware, so I really
don't see your point.

This is a tangent, but you're definitely wrong here. Spyware, worms,
viruses, bots, they all use similar methods and code for similar ends.
We've recently seen spyware using parts of code from hacker defender to
evade spyware removers, and just the initials CWS make my point. they'll
do anything to make a buck.

I don't want to go off on that tangent though. If you'd like another
thread on it that's a good conversation to have. I've argued that
spyware is just like a trojan for a long time.

It is the easiest method to detect and probably block "known" network based
attacks only, and it may be the most cost-effective solution for some
enterprises. But I totally disagree that this solution is the best for
malware from a security point of view.

It's the 80/20 rule. We now about the vast majority of spyware out there
(by distribution). Your odds of being hit by a totally unknown spyware
package, or a totally unknown worm are slim. And even if so it'll be
known within hours or days. So a tool that blocks known things IS
effective. :)

Why do you insist in detecting and patching only known threats while you can
prevent the execution of both known and unknown malware?

I don't insist. :) IDS catches new and unknown things as well. Layers.
IDS is one tool among many others, but an essential tool.

I don't really see myself screaming before the IDS console "Watch out, a
spyware is coming through!, I'll get Spybot and I'll clean that machine with
really sensitive information. I just hope to react fast enough before
something nasty happens".

But how do you know what machine is compromised, and when? IDS will tell
you, or prevent it. Can you aford to have a tech at every pc in your
enterprise on a regular basis to make sure there's nothing there?

Instead I just could have installed any personal firewall in the market with
hIPS capabilities. That kind of controls definitely hava higher chance to
stop it (again, even if it was unknown for the IDS by the time it came
through). If something goes wrong and the PFW integrated solution does not
stop it for some reason (no solution is 100% effective), then I'll have to
react and fix, but the same happens with the IDS. Where is the big benefit
over hIDS or hIPS then?

It doesn't have to be installed on 10,000 machines in an enterprise, or
managed, or licenses purchased for them. Plus, there's more to the net
than workstations and spyware. IDS is a full range product for all
systems, apps, and OSs.

That's nice, and please don't get me wrong, I'm sure that this solution
might be better for some companies in terms of the cost. But in terms of the
security you get from it absolutely not.

I think you'll get a lot of argument that there is security benefit to
IDS/IPS. I'll not go down that road.

There are also several discussions of why rules targeted at specific exploit
code and shellcodes are not a good idea, even in Snort vulnerability-based
signatures are preferred; I think I've even seen Martin Roesch state that.
It is the same principle.

Yes, thats true. And why there are signatures for specific exploits
initially upon discovery, then more research into the actual
vulnerability and signatures to detect any violation of norms. And if
you're quoting Marty to point out how useless IDS is, you're also going
down the wrong road. :)

Matt

--
Matthew Jonkman, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer

and delete all copies.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.