IDS mailing list archives

RE: Ossim

From: Jason A Minto <jminto () lomin com>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 21:47:30 -0400

I am currently working on the follow-up SIM CD Release. SIM CD is currently being developed and hosted by Lomin LLC (http://www.lomin.com/). This is the same SIM CD that was formerly offered by Boseco Security. The next release brings about a lot of changes to the SIM CD. Jim, a lot of your issues with configuration files being located in different places is addressed in this release. The goal of SIM CD is to make deployment of OSSIM as easy as possible. The next version of SIM CD is based on CentOS. Standard configuration file location for that distribution should be expected. To answer the question about a "sensor" install, the easiest thing to do is use the same ISO to do the stand-alone install. Unfortunately there is no way to get around a "complete install" with SIM CD. Once it is installed you can easily stop services you do not want to run on your sensor. The old 9.6.1 version of SIM CD uses a mix of "daemontools" and System V startup scripts. Go through each of those to disable services you do not want to run. Information about "daemontools" can be found here: http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html. Lomin LLC will be offering a user manual in the near future to help you install a distributed system with sensors.

Further information is available on the SIM CD Forums (http://sim.lomin.com/forums/). There you can post any questions you might have about OSSIM. This is the same forum formerly hosted by Boseco Security. Its look has been changed, but all of the old messages are there.
Jason A Minto