IDS mailing list archives

RE: Proventia G400

From: "Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta)" <PPalmer () iss net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:07:28 -0400

I work for ISS, so I would like to take the opportunity to add a few
facts to FinAckSyn's post.

FinAckSyn writes:
Heavily signature reliant, PC-based, doesn't run standalone (needs
external
management), plus the requirement of an external unit to enable
resiliency
in case of Proventia hw/sw failure made the overall solution quite
bulky.

I am not sure what it means to be signature reliant. I presume it is a
reference to a style of processing similar to that used by SNORT as it
seems to get painted with that brush most often. In that case, the G
series is far from signature reliant. The product uses a rich mix of
anomaly, rate-based, DDoS, statistical, and in some cases even some
pattern-based algorithms all built on top of a rich, highly stafeful,
protocol analysis engine that parses nearly 140 protocols and file
formats.

Yes, the G400 is based on a mix of commercially available hardware and
custom built parts. It is a commercial grade server in construction. It
uses a rack-mount chassis. It has redundant power supplies. It uses RAID
for long term storage. This box is purpose-built for mission critical
applications. The G400 is not your typical Personal Computer.

The G-series can run standalone. Each G has a web-based local management
interface that allows you to manage the device with or without Site
Protector. Even so, Site Protector will still be there if and when your
needs expand beyond a small number of appliances.

In addition to the redundancy built into the hardware as described
above, the G400 has built-in bypass on each of its copper IPS ports.
These bypass units automatically engage in the event of power failure or
software timeout. No external hardware is needed unless you require
fiber ports. Fiber bypass was too big to build into the device, so you
will need an external bypass unit for fiber ports.

FinAckSyn writes:
Throughput of 400Mpbs seemed reasonable, but if you're going to include
Gb ports
on a device, in our opinion, that device should be able to handle a
full Gb.

The G400 exists because some customers require more bandwidth than the
G200 provides and do not use enough bandwidth to justify paying for one
of the full gig appliances. If you need a device that supports a full
gigabit you should consider one of the faster G models instead.

Please refer to the product datasheets for more information:
http://documents.iss.net/literature/proventia/ProventiaGSeries_Datasheet
.pdf

FinAckSyn writes:
We did hear on the grapevine that ISS (and Check Point, for that
matter), both
submitted their products for Edition 2 and 3 testing, but nothing came
out of
the other end.  We can only assume that they declined to have their
results
published.

This is just fear mongering and has no real bearing on the capabilities
of the G400.

Paul