IDS mailing list archives

Re: Denial of Service: Commercial Defense products

From: FinAckSyn <finacksyn () yahoo co uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:12:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the reply.

We had problems using the Cisco Detector/Guard
solution against a highly random source SYN Flood.  If
my memory serves me correctly, these were the problems
we ran into (you may have to help me out here!):

1)  The Detector itself cannot classify incoming SYN
packets as bad, as it only sees each random source IP
once.  It was up to the administrator to take note
there was a DDOS attack going on, get out of bed, turn
on the Guard, then stay up all night so he could turn
it off once the attack subsided.  The Arbor solution
was suggested as this offered some automation
features, but our customer laughed at us when we told
her how much it would be.  This immediately throws
Cisco Guard out of the small/medium sized ISPs due to
cost.

2)  Once the Cisco Guard is in action, then for every
SYN it receives, it doubles the bandwidth in use by
sending a SYN/ACK back.  This meant the customer would
had to invest in twice the amount of burtsable
bandwidth to counter the maximum size of SYN Flood.
As the ISP could only provide 1Gb, then this meant
that using the Cisco Guard in theory could only deal
with a 500Mb SYN Flood, unless investments upstream
were made in 10Gb infrastructure (for example, so that
a 750Mb SYN Flood could have 750Mb worth of SYN/ACKs
sent back to each source).  Again, not ideal for a
small ISP that only has a couple of Gig handoffs.

3)  We saw a performance hit on the Cisco Guard when
under a large random source SYN Flood.  This had a
knock-on effect on the customer's latency.
Latency is not ideal for certain applications.  It may
be OK for HTTP/SMTP, but online poker sites and
indexes cannot afford to take this hit.

That's why it wasn't suitable for our customer's
gaming customer - they wanted a solution that would
prevent DDOS from causing ANY performance or service
degradation whatsoever, and preferably be 100%
automated, always on, with minimal maintenance.  Oh,
and cheap...  after all, it's always worth considering
whether or not your should just stump up the cash for
the exortion demands, rather than invest £££s in new
equipment.

In the end, after a lot of hard work and late nights
pushing the Cisco Guard solution, another reseller
stepped in and sold them Toplayer.  This immediately
addressed the DDOS Attack and concerns about latency
(ASIC based), and as it was always on, the customer
didn't have to worry about getting out of bed in the
middle of the night.  The customer could also keep
their 1Gb infrastructure, as the Toplayer didn't send
back SYN/ACKs after a certain point (using some sort
of DDOS Protection algorithm).  It was a pity we'd
never heard of them before, otherwise it looked like
just the right fit.

Don't get me wrong - I think Cisco/Arbor have great
potential in the large carrier-class space where they
have 24/7 support and can afford the additional
bandwidth and extra equipment, but cost- and
efficiency-wise, it just doesn't scale down (even to
fit round a 1Gb pipe!) and I really wouldn't recommend
anyone short of a $250,000 budget should start looking
at this.

Regards,

Matt

--- Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com> wrote:

Actually, FinAckSyn; the Guard doesn't work that
way.  Traffic headed
into zones under protection is routed into the Guard
itself, and then
various forms of antispoofing and anomaly-detection
are performed to
determine whether or not the traffic is valid.
Invalid traffic is
dropped by the Guard, while valid traffic is
re-injected into the
network in order to continue towards its
destination.

The Guard is usually configured as an on-demand
device; it's only
'inline' when needed, the rest of the time, traffic
follows its
normal course through the network.  This type of
operation ensures
that the Guard is only examining traffic when such
examination is
required, and also doesn't require the network to be
re-engineered in
order to induce artificial symmetry.

In the case of your SP using the Guard to protect
your gaming
servers, it sounds to me as if some baselining is
needed in order to
fine-tune the Guard's profiles of what constitute
normal and valid
traffic to your gaming servers.

For more information on the Guard, NetFlow, and
Arbor, see this URL:

      http://www.cisco.com/go/cleanpipes