IDS mailing list archives

Re: MIT-DARPA dataset question

From: Damiano Bolzoni <damiano.bolzoni () libero it>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:53:27 +0100

faisal99 () inf its-sby edu wrote:
Hi all,
is anybody know where to find labels for the testing data of MIT-DARPA
dataset?

DARPA 1999 data set is not carefully labeled: in order to know how may
attacks had been idenfied by your IDS, you had to submit your results
directly to them (from
http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/docs/1999/schedule.html: "Sites
participating in off-line evaluation send evaluation results back to
Lincoln Lab."). Then you received a report, but it didn't contain
informations about individual attacks discovered. You always got an
overall score.

I've read the site, and read that the testing data is not labeled?
so where i can find the complete testing data?
or may be i miss something on the documentation pages??

Using your own experience, you could manually label attacks in each test
day: I did it in this way, and I think that it's the only possible way.
You could get here
http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/docs/1999/detections_1999.html a very
simple list of attacks contained in the 2nd week, but there aren't
references to network packets, only few information.

Hope this helps!

Damiano Bolzoni

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.