IDS mailing list archives

Re: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: Stephane <stephane.d () ecologie net>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:33:55 +0100

buineach wrote:

Stephane
My opinions here are based on testing I did against all these vendors
in the IPS space.
Netscreen IDP, Checkpoint (whatever) & ISS Proventia are PC based
solution  like all PC based solutions it has a bad foundation to build [...]
Sorry, what do you mean by PC based solution? ISS Proventia A and G are appliance running a cut-down dedicated Linux kernel. By PC based you mean Site Protector working on Windows?

5 years ago, we were sure the firewalls have to have the solution for all the network stuffs we do not want out of an unsecure network. Force to see it is completely wrong by the time we are having. By the level of experience, I am almost sure ISS and its Managed Security Services are the best to provide the 24x7 SLA we need. Furthermore, I do not trust Cisco, Network Associates or the Yellow_Stuff since IDS and even IPS is not their core business at all, they are just getting profits out of their sales channels ;-) 10 years ago, ISS was already on the game, this does the difference.

Stephane

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.