IDS mailing list archives

Re: interesting paper on testing sig-based IDS

From: Giovanni Vigna <vigna () cs ucsb edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:45:01 -0800

Well,
        We sort of suck in terms of publicizing our research.

Our tool, which is called 'Sploit', is more similar to CANVAS than to any other.
I haven't seen/tried CANVAS so I am not sure, but the basic ideas seem
similar.

You can get the details from the paper, but the idea is
to compose exploit templates and mutant operators.
The mutation engine applies one or more mutant operators to
an exploit template to obtain a mutant exploit. Then the exploit is run
against a vulnerable application and an oracle determines if
the attack was successful (this is necessary because even though
the mutant operator are supposed to preserve the semantics of the
exploit, things can actually go wrong in unexpected ways).
The outcome of the oracle is automatically cross-correlated
with the outputs of one or more intrusion detection systems.
By "exploring" the mutation space it is possible to find the right
composition of mutant operators to evade an IDS.
In out paper we show that using our tool we were able to
evade 9 out of 10 attacks, in the case of ISS RealSecure.

We are not distributing our code at the moment.

Best regards,

        Giovanni