IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS\IPS that can handle one Gig

From: "Prashant Khandelwal" <prashant () juniper net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:56:39 +0530

Hi Tim,
         I totally agree and value your thoughts and IMHO no compromises
should be made on security, I had pointed out earlier in my eg that
turning off fragmentation or any vital feature for that matter doest
make "any sense in real world security policy".

          To be more specific the intention or bottom-line is that lot
many stuff can be done to tune an IDS/IPS for the optimal performance no
matter its Intel based /ASIC's. A prior acquaintance with network on
which IDS/IPS is supposed to be implemented would help tuning the
performance a lot and reducing flase +vs too. For instance (just an
eg)If no Apache's are running on your network ,then enabling sigs for
them in your polices can hit the performance and it would not make any
sense aswell, like wise there are lot many things and tweaks  that can
be done which can help all IDS/IPS to perform better.

    IMHO one should also look in to the fact that how much flexibility a
particular vendor gives in there products to the end users so that these
tweaking can be done as any IDS/IPS can give its best only when it's
tuned for that particular network environment .With this flexibility and
cautious planning, proper security policies should be framed and pushed
to the IDS/IPS to get the best performance and max security.

Best Regards,
Prashant