IDS mailing list archives

IPS test criteria (was IDS\IPS that can handle one Gig)

From: Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:04:28 +0200

Guys,

I don't often weigh in to toot my own horn but feel I have to here.
Perhaps when we open our new US security testing lab next year we will be
"on the radar" a little more? ;o))

Chris - what makes ICSA particularly relevant when it comes to defining IPS
test criteria? Speak to the vendors who were at their recent forum meeting
where their new NIPS criteria was being discussed to find out how far adrift
they are.

As good as it is in other areas, to my knowledge ICSA has very little - if
any - experience in house of testing IDS/IPS devices and seems to be
struggling to create a useful test methodology right now. One thing ICSA
certainly will NOT be focussing on as far as I can see is performance - they
tend to focus mainly on management minutiae

NSS, on the other hand, covers both. Whilst we do not define individual
"tests" for the management minutiae as ICSA seems to do, the 30+ page
evaluation which accompanies each NSS Approved certification goes into
plenty of detail on how easy the device is to manage, how scalable it is,
pros and cons, etc, etc.

In addition, we stress performance of these devices in a number of ways. It
has been suggested by one vendor that pps is the be-all-and-end-all of
performance. That is not the case. It IS, however, one facet of performance
(raw packet processing power) and we DO, Chris, cover this in our tests with
a wide range of traffic loads and packet sizes.

Detection engine performance is often independent of raw packet processing
performance, however. When you give the appliance something to actually
DETECT, that wonderful microsecond latency 1Gbps with 64-byte packets
throughput that the hardware guys boast of can suddenly plummet to much less
than 1Gbps. I agree with Paul from ISS in that it does not always require
ASICS and FPGAs to get 1Gbps of throughput from an in-line device (though
the hardware acceleration provides other advantages that have been discussed
at length already - so let's not go there again)

So, in addition, we also cover a wide range of traffic mixes which stress
the detection engine too. These take care of protocol mix, average packet
size, HTTP connections per second and transaction per second, and so on and
so forth.

Finally, we introduce REAL Web/FTP servers into the mix, using copies of
real Web sites and real user browsing sessions to create as close a "real
world" conditions in our labs to show how devices are likely to perform in
real deployments, when such extremes of connections per second and pps are
less likely to occur.

Creating these tests to provide this wide range of test condition and - more
importantly - produce stable and precisely repeatable conditions for every
single test is not easy (i.e. If we say we are testing 20,000 conns per sec
with a 5k response size and 350 byte average packet size at 1Gbps then that
is exactly what is produced throughout the test). Ask anyone who has used
the Spirent Avalanche test gear how easy it is to do (and with most of the
other test gear out there you cannot even get close to specifying such a
wide range of test criteria). But we ARE already doing it, so why not take
advantage of it?

Having examined our test criteria (www.nss.co.uk/ips) I would be happy to
take suggestions from interested parties on how it may be improved, what
tests are overkill, what test we are missing, and so on. It will be a while
before you can do that with the ICSA NIPS test criteria, I fear ;o)

Ed - That is a cool idea - I would definitely be interested in participating
the type of forum you mention. Check out our existing test criteria at
www.nss.co.uk/ips and see if you think we have a good basis for initial
discussions

Bob Walder
The NSS Group