IDS mailing list archives

Re: Editing ISS RealSecure Network Sensor policy from commandline

From: "Jonathan Glass (GMail)" <jonathan.glass () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:05:12 -0400

Jim wrote:

Is there any way to edit the Network Sensor (version 7) policy with a text
editor, and reliably apply this policy?

I work for a fairly large MSP and some of our customers require event filters to
be added in large numbers. Adding these one-at-a-time in the Policy Editor is
VERY painful.  For example, one customer yesterday requested that 10 source IPs
ignore 9 signatures when talking to 2 destination IPs.  I would go insane if I
had to add 180 individual entries by hand.

I found the "current.policy" file on the sensor itself, but it seems that
changes to this file are not visible in the console's Policy Editor.  For
example, if I edit one of the filters in current.policy and then "Edit Current
Policy" from the Site Protector console, the changes are not there.  This is the
case no matter whether I stop the sensor/daemon from the OS shell or using
Stop/Start in Site Protector.

Please let me know if there's any way to do this!  I've scoured Google for about
2 days now, and a couple other employees here have asked ISS for help with this
and have gotten nowhere.

Thanks very much.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.

Have you tried exporting the policy as an XML file, making the change,
and re-importing it?  Not sure if that helps at all, but that's the best
i can come up with off the top of my head.

Jonathan Glass