IDS mailing list archives

RE: ids implementation

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:30:43 -0400

I decided to deploy my IDP behind the firewall but some people prefer to
put it in front.  It's all about the type of traffic you want to look
at.  Obviously, those in front of the firewall will be noisier than
those behind.

To get the packets through the IDS, you can place the device on a
Network Tap or Hub before your switch, or if you go with a big name
appliance, they should allow you to plug in their device inline before
the switch, something like FIREWALL ==> APPLIANCE ==> SWITCH.

-JMB