IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS Signature Confidence

From: "Mike Murray" <mmurray () ncircle com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:05:13 -0700

I wanted to spark some discussion here - understanding the success of a
signature a priori is a difficult task that is faced by all
signature-based vendors.  At nCircle, we're a vulnerability signature
developer, and we have similar problems - specifically, how do you know
that things are going to work as well in the real world as they do in
the lab?

I imagine that some of the tools that we've created for understanding
vulnerability signatures would apply to IDS signatures as well.  A good
example of this is the idea of signature precision - specifically, how
closely the information that the signature is based on is related to the
actual incidence of the event.   (An example - basing buffer overflows
detection on parts of NOOP sleds or shellcode is not that precise, given
the ability to use a polymorphic shellcode engine).

I wrote up signature precision for VM on our blog, and published the
whitepaper there:
http://blog.ncircle.com/archives/2005/05/vulnerability_p.htm

Perhaps creating more tools like this for IDS signatures would lead to
the type of confidence metric that Raffy's looking for...

-M