IDS mailing list archives

Re: newbie questions

From: bob_walder () mac com
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:34:19 +0100

I will say the same thing to you I sad to Dave Aitel - you need to read our methodology more carefully.

The exploits to which you refer by name are our BASELINE exploits - they are chosen to ensure that EVERYONE has the
signature in their database - there are about 7 of those ONLY - they are used to do some of the basic evasion stuff.
Yes, they are old - yes they are simple - that doesn't matter because they are not part of the DETECTION test.

If you see an explanatory reference such as (i.e. change GOBBLES to GOOBLES") then it is just that - an explanation of
the TYPE of evasion we are doing there - it is NOT the extent of the testing. Why would we tell everyone (including the
vendors who will be in future tests) EXACTLY what we are going to do in our evasion tests? We just provide EXAMPLES.
UNDERSTAND the methodology before making stupid claims.

You don't KNOW what is in our attack library because that is the one part of the methodology we do not detail. People
who get too hung up on this part of the test don't understand about the realities of IPS devices. You are focussing
ONLY on the detection and nothing else when you dismiss the rest of our test suite so blithely. As it happens, we have
some VERY recent stuff in our library and it is updated/changed for every edition of the report

We DO, however, understand that IPS is not IDS - I am not sure you do....

Come up with better tools than fragroute and Whisker/Nikto for testing those PARTICULAR evasion techniques and we will
gladly use them. Once again you seem to imply that because we say we use "Whisker evasion techniques" in our
methodology that we are "outdated" because we should be using Nikto. Once again, you do not understand what we are
testing.

We do NOT use Nikto/Whisker as a Web scanner - we have better means to test whether IPS can block stuff like that. We
say quite clearly that we use the Whisker EVASION TECHNIQUES (on exploits of our own, not those in the standard test
databases you get with these tools). Nikto is based on libwhisker - the same techniques apply. Once again you have
focussed on a very small point ("Oh my GOD! They don't use Nikto!") without attempting to understand what exactly it is
we are testing.

FYI We STILL find devices that cannot do TCP seg reassembly properly - and in the latest test, one device even failed
two of the Whisker test cases. Just because those tools have been around for a while does not make them irrelevant - if
we did NOT test against such commonly available tools, we would be doing our readers - and the vendors - a disservice.
FYI - we do far more than JUST fragroute/whisker.... Contrary to what some other misinformed people have claimed, we
even... Horror of horrors.... Do MSRPC evasion testing.... Yes, really!

I have no problems with people making constructive criticism, but you and Dave Aitel are quite simply playing stupid
public guessing games and getting it wrong every time

You need to stop making ridiculous claims and get your facts straight before posting in public forums. I am always
happy to answer questions about our methodologies.

Bob Walder
The NSS Group