IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrushield

From: "Terry N." <cibert () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:17:07 -0500

I've worked with Intrushield for a while now and I am not impressed
that you must use their java GUI. In regards to filtering traffic,
what I do is use NetForensics and add the sensors to a filter on its
event console in the SIM. Within NF you can filter whatever you wish
out of the Intrushield alerts and it also helps with your logging
issue, should you have the luxury of using a correlation engine such
as NF or something else like ArcSight. Unfortunately, these products
are all java based as well.

Security Operations Center (Terry N.)

We have intrushield deployed here, and I am disappointed. The
ability  > to create user-defined signatures is very poor. There is no
way to

make a signature to look at all ports and protocols, so with a UDS,
you must specify a protocol for it to look at. There is no
command-line access to write signatures, so you must use their Java
GUI. There is no way to import sigs from other vendors, such as snort,
and the rule flexibilty is just not there. The built-in signatures is
a closed-set, so you do not know what IntruShield's signatures are
firing on. You also cannot filter out traffic. There are filters
available, but they only work on signature based detection. Anomaly
detection will still fire on the filtered traffic. I have yet to get
the logging capability to work. You can set it to log X packets, but
it won't display them when you view alerts.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.