IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS with no IP address?

From: Dennis Cox <dcox () tippingpoint com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:43:11 -0600

Jeff,

It's actually pretty common in the telco world. ILMI for those from the ATM world is how operators in the telco world manage equipment over the same wire. In that case it's VPI/VCI in this case they have no IP addresses but they listen for an IP address - once they see the IP address they act differently. The danger is that the device can be attacked on the wires it's protecting. I would suggest you run *SIC, (ISIC, etc) on the network address to see how strong the stack that is providing the management is. It's generally not recommended to have your management interface exposed to the network you are protecting. Example, let's say they have a HTTPS interface - why not flood the data path with HTTPS traffic to that IP address and see if you could slow down the device - or perhaps you can discover what type of device it is and they figure out what it's weak on.

Dennis Cox
Director of Engineering, TippingPoint Technologies
w 512.681.8328