IDS mailing list archives

User defined signatures

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:42:59 -0500

> We have intrushield deployed here, and I am disappointed. The ability
> to create user-defined signatures is very poor. There is no way to

make a signature to look at all ports and protocols, so with a UDS,
you must specify a protocol for it to look at. There is no
command-line access to write signatures, so you must use their Java
GUI. There is no way to import sigs from other vendors, such as snort,
and the rule flexibilty is just not there. The built-in signatures is
a closed-set, so you do not know what IntruShield's signatures are
firing on. You also cannot filter out traffic. There are filters
available, but they only work on signature based detection. Anomaly
detection will still fire on the filtered traffic. I have yet to get
the logging capability to work. You can set it to log X packets, but
it won't display them when you view alerts.

I was impressed with the Juniper/Netscreen/Onesecure IDP and its strength in user defined signatures and the visibility of the vendor provided ones. It also has:

- excellent packet capture and analysis capabilities (configurable pre and post event capture per signature, highlighting of trigger packet, and ability to use built-in and/or external packet viewer)

- a wealth of actions to choose when signatures match
(log, packet capture, email, syslog, snmptrap, script execution, timed firewall entries on src or dest address, port, and/or netblock)

- good exception capabilities (active for both signatures and protocol anomalies)

- very flexible and easy to use reporting and user interface capabilities

I think its safe to say that all the products are maturing rapidly, have unique strengths and weaknesses, and will leap frog each other over time. If you're interested in flexibility, insight into your network traffic, understanding of how vendor signatures are working, and the the ability to rapidly produce your own signatures, give the product a test drive.

Gary Flynn
Security Engineer
James Madison University

Test Your IDS