IDS mailing list archives

Re: Intrushield vs. ISS once more...

From: "Chris Brown" <chris () get-tuf com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:54:36 -0000 (GMT)

I have been trialling Intrushield and it logs and displays packet info
just fine, have you installed Ethereal and pointed Intrushield to it's
location?  Also Intrushield tells you what sig it has fired on in the
alert viewer.......

Regards

Tuffer

"I could soar like an Eagle but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines"

We have intrushield deployed here, and I am disappointed. The ability
to create user-defined signatures is very poor. There is no way to
make a signature to look at all ports and protocols, so with a UDS,
you must specify a protocol for it to look at. There is no
command-line access to write signatures, so you must use their Java
GUI. There is no way to import sigs from other vendors, such as snort,
and the rule flexibilty is just not there. The built-in signatures is
a closed-set, so you do not know what IntruShield's signatures are
firing on. You also cannot filter out traffic. There are filters
available, but they only work on signature based detection. Anomaly
detection will still fire on the filtered traffic. I have yet to get
the logging capability to work. You can set it to log X packets, but
it won't display them when you view alerts.

Hope this helps,
Chris