IDS mailing list archives

Re: Specification-based Anomaly Detection

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:33:52 -0500

That said, imho, the best statistical
anomaly detection on the market is still a human brain and a little
quality time with tcpdump :). The price is right too :-).

This is absolutely the best approach. But what I'll ask is "why" the analyst
was inclined to seek the help of tcpdump in the first place? Unless there
have been "quantum leaps" in the realm of human precognition, the admin had
1) spidey-sense 2) a complaint/notification from a user or 3) an alarm/alert
from a deployed network monitoring technology. My money's one #2 or #3.
Without one of these items, the price is *NOT* right as tcpdump-style
analysis is far too inefficient in a large environment.

Behavior-based anomaly detection systems are not designed to replace the
analyst nor do his/her job for them. Like any professional's tool (a
scalpel, a type-writer, a violin) anomaly detection systems are designed to
make the operator faster and more effective at what they do. I would extend
this same functional criteria to most security or network monitoring
technologies. If it doesn't make me smarter or more effective, I don't need
it.

With all deferences to Stefano and his recearch in the area, I haven't seen
any of the statistical anomaly methods produce any significant results yet.
Most sysadmins don't have much of an idea of what constitutes "normal"
traffic patterns on their nets and I have yet to see a formal mechanical
model that can do even less than that.

Why do you need a documented "formal model" to declare a technology
valuable? Do you think if we (Lancope) had a "formal model" we would
announce it to the world?! We're a *for profit* company. ;) Why do people
not ask ISS, Intruvert, and others to document their signatures in a "formal
model"?

Just because you, Dragos Ruiu, haven't seen "significant results" doesn't
mean they don't exist. I think you (like many others) are not quite certain
what kind of results "this kind of stuff" should produce. Therefore you
picture a utopian product with capabilities that seem incomprehensible to
the "with clue" technical individual. The truth is that these systems
probably do something in the middle of an idealistic vision of an anomaly
detection system and what's been achieved in the past. This confusion is not
your fault, but rather the vendor's for creating all this marketing "FM"
crappolla.