IDS mailing list archives

Re: performance metrics for IPS systems?

From: Bob Walder <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:54:37 +0100

Take a look at our IPS group tests if you are interested in such performance
metrics. We go into some details regarding acceptable latencies of Gigabit
devices ("acceptable" obviously depends a lot on whether you intend to
deploy them internally or at the network perimeter).

The kind of behaviour mentioned below was observed frequently in our tests
(i.e. That latency actually gets lower as traffic levels increase....up to a
point). Round about 225,000pps is indeed around 1Gbps with a "normal"
average packet size - a lot of our "real world" tests are based around these
kinds of figures.

Edition 2 is on line - Edition 1 can now only be purchased as a PDF for
immediate download (or as a CD)

Bob Walder
The NSS Group