IDS mailing list archives

Fortinet's fortigate 100 devices

From: Jimmy Stewpot <squid () oranged to>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:21:08 +0000

Hello,

I am currently in the process of evaluating a security appliance by the
company Fortinet. The product in specifics is the Fortigate 100. So far
the product has been looking very impressive. However I have some
questions that I am trying to find answers to.

- Has anyone got any advice regarding the network performance of these
devices in real world environments. During my testing I noticed they are
using a Realtek 8139 based NIC. I personally have never had any issues
with Realtek 8139 cards in environments ranging from slow to medium/high
bandwidth utilization (40-50Mbps) however any feedback about how the
Realtek network cards perform in the Fortigate would be greatly appreciated.

- I noticed that the system has got HA functionality. It appears to be
very similar to the way in which VRRP works. However it does not state
that its actually VRRP (licensing issues perhaps). Does anyone have any
feedback as to how good the fail over/fail back/ redundancy issues are
on these devices?

- Any overall opinions or feedback from anyone that has used the device
in any production environments would be fantastic. Also if anyone knows
of any competing products I would like be very interested to know about
them.

- I am also interested to know how everyones experiences are in regards
to Fortinet support?

So far my own experience in using the devices has been exceptional.
However as we are looking to put them into some more intensive solutions
 I need to find out as much information as I can so that we can prepare
or look at bigger/faster Fortinet boxes or alternatives.

Regards,

Jimmy.

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?