IDS mailing list archives

on TASL correlation rules

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:31:50 -0500

All,

I was reading this document the other day
(http://www.tenablesecurity.com/images/pdfs/thunder_tasl_scripts.pdf).
Great work on correlation rules, one of the most detailed I've seen!

What I am wondering about is how much success people had creating such
rules for site-specific threats, rather than those that apply to every
network (e.g. IRC bot running or compromised machine scanning out).
From my experience, creating sensible and effective correlation rules
is easier than writing good NIDS sigs. I am curious whether it matches
the experience of others here?

Best,
--
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA
         http://www.chuvakin.org

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.