IDS mailing list archives

Re: TCP Sack processing

From: snort user <snort.user () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:33:26 -0400

Joachim,

The TCP stream reassembly algorithm usually handles out-of-order packets.
So if the packets comes in the order P1, P3, P2 it will be correctly
reordered and reassembled.

Thanks

On 8/11/05, Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 04:28:10PM -0400, snort user wrote:
Greetings.

Does TCP stream reassembly algorithm need TCP SACK processing for completeness ?
Are there scenarios that an IDS/IPS would miss an attack if it does
not take the selective acks into consideration.

Any comments/opinions/pointers is appreciated.

Thanks

Well, I am not an expert, but...

Suppose I have an exploit that requires a TCP connection. I open the
connection, send packet #1 and #3, and then sent #2 after #3 has been
SACK'ed. Wouldn't that work, and bypass your IDS, especially if the
exploit is divided over the packets in a smart way?

                Joachim

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.