IDS mailing list archives

Deploying Host based IDS: is there any benefit ??

From: Pete <pierre.grosbois () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:28:05 +0200

Dear Security professionals,

I have been assigned to deply Hist IDS...
But I am trying to assess the benefits of HIDS vs devleopment of OS
standard = OS hardening (UNIX and Windows).
Indeed, I think deploying HIDS costs more time and money than OS
hardening and for what benefit since it is a reactive solution.
The maintainance of such a tool is heavy for operational team:
When OS or applications versions change the HIDS agent has to be
reinstalled, and the impact on business applications has to be
assessed again.

Regarding the features, it seems that the detection job of a Host IDS
product can be done by advanced logging features of the OSs (syslog..)
then only centralization and aggregation tool could be helpful.

Please feel free to share your point of view or experience.

Best regards,

Pete

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.