IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS alerts / second - Correlation - Virtualization

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 02:26:01 +0530

On 02/08/05 13:19 -0400, Jason wrote:
<snip>

Yes. Mail bodies traditionally are not run through eval(), but
pattern matched. Stuff sent to scripts through mail is a different
beast, and in general, that code is well written.

Hrm. I'm pretty sure that attackers can comply with "traditionally"
and yet still win. I also wouldn't agree that the scripts that handle
automation are generally well written. This entire industry is based on
failures in the same assumptions you are making here.

At least the ones I have dealt with have been quite well written, and
rapidly fixed if/when bugs are found.

I have never seen any situation where a mail body contained a script
which would be run automatically on a Unix system. Plus, you can just
use a current scanner like amavisd-new to only allow valid commands
to be sent to the script (per recipient specifications).

Just because you have not seen it does not mean it is not there.
Reference any outlook vuln or the below sendmail vuln.

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6991
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/313757

My point was about scripts in message bodies being automatically
executed on Unix systems. And if you are worried about Sendmail issues,
there are better alternatives available.

Trying to defend against very very improbable events is simply not worth
the effort, there are bigger holes to defend.

The original point was about allowing only basic, validated traffic and
blocking what we do not understand. I would make the assumption that the
firewall _is_ written safely (otherwise you need a better firewall).
Your example of the Sendmail vulnerability would not have gone through a
Postfix/qmail box.

It is perfectly possible to implement security systems properly. It
takes effort. There are no short cuts.

Devdas Bhagat

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.