IDS mailing list archives

NADS ( was RE: IPS comparison)

From: "Joseph Hamm" <jhamm () lancope com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:11:08 -0400

Hassan,

You make some good points, but I'd like the opportunity to clear up a
few things about my NADS:

IMHO comparing pure play behavior detection to IPS is like comparing
apples and oranges.

I couldn't agree more.  I spoke up because Stefano brought up the topic
of anomaly detection. One thing that does bother me is how IPS has been
painted as a "magic bullet" by vendors (and even the press).  IPS works
great at the perimeter or other "choke points" in the network.  However,
in speaking with customers, it is too costly to deploy in a scenario
that can give you adequate network visibility or proper blocking
capabilities inside your organization.  It should remain a perimeter
solution, placed in a strategic location to protect key assets (example
would be a group of critical servers), or perhaps one day merged into
your network infrastructure (perhaps the future as painted by
Tippingpoint and 3com).

NADS appears to be more similar to the old sniffer technology with the
added feature of /possibly/ giving better clues
as to the cause of the anomaly from a security perspective whereas the
old Network General style explains from network
problem perspective.

Yes.  NADS gives much of the value of traditional network
troubleshooting tools like Sniffer.  But this is only a fraction of its
capabilities.  These systems can gain network info from taps,
SPAN/mirror ports, NetFlow, or sFlow.  The result of this hybrid
approach is a much broader network visibility than traditional security
devices such as IDS or IPS can provide (at least for the same costs).
The reason you get more visibility with fewer boxes deployed is because
these systems can leverage the flow information (NetFlow or sFlow info
exported from your routers/switches).  You essential turn all of your
routers and switches into security probes so you don't have to deploy
(purchase and maintain) a box everywhere you want coverage.   Many folks
don't even know what NetFlow or sFlow is or how it can be used to
provide them much needed security information (and save them money).

Protocol anomaly at least looks more promising in the IPS space as the
action capability is there. In my experience, it definitely takes time
baselining... but once
baslined, it could be a valuable tool (again when the action component
- read IPS - is added).

Yes, baselining takes some time.  So does tuning a signature-based
product.  We should all know by now that IPS is easy to deploy and tune
cause they've ripped out all of the signatures and only block on the
handful that they know they can block on accurately.  Don't get me
wrong.  With that being said, I still see the value of using IPS to
detect and block low hanging fruit.

On the other hand, NADS can have full network visibility, understand
what is normal activity for hosts, alarm the administrator, and even
take blocking action on the administrator's behalf.  How does it do this
without being inline?  It leverages the existing network infrastructure
to block attacks...something that is being called "infrastructure IPS".
This allows the NADS to find the piece of network infrastructure closest
to the threat (router, switch, firewall, etc.) and take blocking action
there in order to quarantine the attack.  Your IPS can't do that!
IDS/IPS can only detect and block once traffic passes the device (which
works great at the perimeter).  Since a NADS system has complete
visibility, it can instruct your infrastructure to take blocking actions
and stop internal threats more effectively.

That whole Gartner prophecy of "IDS is dead" was referring to the idea
that detection by itself is just not enough. Maybe behavior detection
(NADS) might be good for
forensics... but I'll take IPS wherever I can get it thank you. If one
can't afford IPS... then I guess going the forensics only route is
better than nothing. But even >then, pure-play behavior-based solutions
leaves the gap of not detecting known bad stuff.

As mentioned above, NADS can detect and block malicious activity.  And
yes, they provide a wealth of forensic information.  Lancope provides
the last 30 days.  As far as detecting known bad stuff, I suggest a
hybrid approach.  IPS at the perimeter to catch low hanging fruit, IDS
internally to detect known attacks, NADS to understand normal behavior
and detect/block on threats.  Your better NADS can correlate events from
signature based IDS.  This means that they can weed through the
thousands of signature-based IDS events that might be occurring daily
and cherry pick those that correlate to a behavioral change from a host.

A great example of this would be saving the administrator the time of
sorting through 1000 RPC buffer overflow alarms generated by his IDS
because his servers were not vulnerable and experienced no behavioral
change after the attack.  However, the administrator would be presented
the one RPC buffer overflow that correlated to a host that went outside
of its normal behavior and started scanning other hosts, connected to a
remote server on some random port, etc.

btw... even Lancope has signatures (however outdated they may be)... so
even Lancope realizes the value of signatures in the security tool box.

They aren't signatures, but yes, we do have behavioral algorithms that
look for suspicious activity.  And yes, some of these do not require a
baseline to determine malicious behavior so in vague terms they could be
considered somewhat like a signature.  For example, I don't have to have
a baseline of a host to know that aggressive scanning on port 445 is
bad, port 80 traffic that is not valid http is bad, etc.

Hope this clarifies my position a bit.

Regards,
Joe

Joe Hamm, CISSP
Senior Security Engineer
Lancope, Inc.
jhamm () lancope com
404.644.7227  (cell)
770.225.6509   (fax)

Lancope - Security through Network Intelligence(tm)
StealthWatch(tm) by Lancope, a next-generation network security
solution, delivers behavior-based intrusion detection, policy
enforcement and insightful network analysis.  Visit www.lancope.com.

IMHO comparing pure play havior detection to IPS is like comparing
apples and oranges.

[...]

Hassan  Karim, CISSP

--- Joseph Hamm <jhamm () lancope com> wrote:

Fact is, anomaly detection is so rare that it's
almost unexistant in
the commercial products, except for limited forms
of "protocol anomaly detection" and for Arbor's
peakflow technology.

Not true!  The only reason this space hasn't gotten as much attention
over the last few years is cause everyone was busy buying signature
IDS and now IPS solutions.

Pure Network Anomaly Detection players:
Arbor
Lancope
Mazu
Q1 Labs
(All of these have been around for several years despite the lack of
industry attention to this space. Am I missing any new ones?)

Also, for a recent article on network anomaly detection systems
(NADS), check out this month's Information Security Magazine (cover
story).  The NADS space (this is only the latest acronym used to
describe this group of products), is starting to get more attention
and press coverage.  You will also find some articles that call these
products NBAD (Network Behavior Anomaly Detection) solutions.

Many security companies can detect "anomalies" in some form.  Almost
every security vendor has the word "anomaly" in their marketing
literature.  You need to understand what they mean by an "anomaly" and

how they detect them.

"protocol anomaly detection" and "network anomaly detection" are two
different things although detecting network anomalies can include
protocol anomalies as well.  An IPS is a point solution, usually has
limited network visibility (unless you spend a fortune and deploy them

everywhere), and can only perform protocol anomaly detection (from
what I've seen).  In order to have the best NADS, you need complete
network visibility and an understanding of what is "normal"
on your network.

Rolling out NADS generally requires less appliances than IPS (read
less
cost) because one box can gather network info from multiple SPAN
ports, network taps, or get NetFlow/sFlow feeds from remote
routers/switches.

Kind regards,