IDS mailing list archives

Re: MPLS IDS question

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 21:55:20 -0400

Just an FYI, but NFR's Sensors support MPLS. Was there something specific you wanted out of the padding, or did you just want to make sure that the IDS could accurately parse traffic over MPLS connections? MPLS can have lots of stuff in the padding, which can be of variable length no set byte count unfortunately) which means that to properly handle it, the IDS engine must walk the entire packet to search for the end the MPLS data. If you want a more technical discussion on how to monitor MPLS data with your IDS, I can point you to the correct NFR developers offline.

-dave

--
David W. Goodrum
Senior Systems Engineer

Dobbelaere, David [NCSBE] wrote:

Hi Pierre,

The MPLS tunnel gets terminated at the CE (Customer Entry) router.
If you put an NIDS/NIPS between your network and the CE then you don't need
any MPLS protocol decoder on your NIDS to monitor traffic in the tunnel.
On top you can enable IOS IDS feature set on the CE to be able to monitor
the traffic towards the CE itself.
I'm not an MPLS guru myself but this is the path I would follow unless you
really need to monitor in the MPLS tunnel for some reason.

rgdz,
Chewy