IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS, alternative solutions

From: Scott Wimer <scottw () cylant com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:52:51 -0400

I don't think it is easier or more cost effective.  This is merely my
observation of what they _want_, not what they can have. :)

Scott Wimer
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 15:47, Jason wrote:
I've heard of no medium+ sized business that is considering deploying
inline technology on the internals of the network in a sufficiently
pervasive manner that there would be any measurable benefit from the
technology over patching and asset management.

I would be seriously interested in an ROI that can demonstrate savings.

The simple question is how is inline packet scrubbing easier and more
cost effective than patching?

Scott Wimer wrote:

Daniel,

I agree with your assessment.  What I have encountered in the
financial sector though is a desire to have the packets "scrubbed"
before they reach the servers.  People _want_ to deploy network based
IPS tools because it is easier and more cost effective.  That it
doesn't seem to be possible yet is another story altogether.

Regards, Scott Wimer