IDS mailing list archives

RE: NIDS/NIPS implications on HSRP

From: "Murtland, Jerry" <MurtlandJ () Grangeinsurance com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:43:42 -0400

Another event that may trigger HSRP to send out packets outside of your
primary and secondary router is another router coming online.  This will
then cause an HSRP 'hello' to be sent to the 3rd router.  One issue that I
have recently uncovered is that if a 3rd party router was brought online
(non-cisco) HSRP then sends an MD5 hash to the 3rd party router with the
default password (Cisco).  If you have an IDS sensor in this subnet, this
will obviously trigger an event.  However, this can also be seen as a man in
the middle attack if someone from that subnet were vpn'd or connecting from
some other alternative method and compromised to this subnet.  Obiously the
likelyhood of this is exponentially reduced.  The attack can only occur on
the subnet from which the routers reside.  However, the false positive of
seeing a DoS attack with HSRP default password compromised isn't a fun
exercise.

Jerry