IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS/IPS testing methodology

From: "Leandro Reox" <lmet5on () fibertel com ar>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:49:32 -0300

To get a better vision of how you can do this setup, would be great if
you can describe your network topology, or, if youre building a test
enviroment, putting the IPS behind a firewall, and before it, it’s the
best way to see the variations of a already filtered attack ( firewall
level 1 wall) and the unfiltered signatures of attacks (a ton of
loggin).
We got a Proventia M50 series, behind a sort of firewalls PIX in the
DMZ, and the loggin is very poor, in the final report the numbers don’t
reflex anything.
So, we put a G200 before the firewalls, to get a real vision of the
unfiltered attacks impacts, and show big numbers (more real) to the
client ;).

Cheers

Leandro Reox
Security Operation Center