IDS mailing list archives

RE: parsing very large tcpdump files

From: "Bowes, Ronald (EST)" <RBowes () gov mb ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:27:54 -0600

If you know perl, you can probably put together a program in a matter of
minutes to suit your needs.  I needed a tool which could parse a proxy's log
dump (several gigabytes), and it could do it in a matter of sections,
writing any accesses from a specific ip or user to a file.  I don't have the
source handy, but my program looked something like:

#!/usr/bin/perl

fopen(OUTFILE, "/tmp/test");
fopen(INFILE, "/var/log/proxy001.log");
foreach $line(<INFILE>)
{
        my ($ip, $username, $date, $time, $alltherest) = split(/, /, $line);
        if($ip eq "10.1.2.3" || $username eq "rbowes")
        {
                print OUTFILE $line;
        }
}
print "---=== COMPLETE ===---";

It's likely it wouldn't be very difficult to adapt something similar to that
to your needs.  If you need any perl pointers, let me know.

Ron Bowes
Information Protection Centre
Government Of Manitoba