IDS mailing list archives

CRI announcement

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:35:23 -0500

Hi there, a lot of you probably didn't see the CANVAS Reference Implementation (CRI) announcement I gave in Poland in October, so I figured I'd send one here, since the main purpose of the CRI is for testing HIDS and NIDS of various kinds.

http://www.immunitysec.com/products-canvas-cri.shtml

'What is the "CRI"?' you may ask. The CRI is basically a subset of Immunity's CANVAS product, but available for free with an NDA. This subset includes a working LSASS bug so you can test your NIDS or HIDS or NIPS or HIPS for its ability to parse SMB+MSRPC correctly and detect a sample exploit.

How is this different from Tippingpoint's new open source NIPS testing tool? Well, the CRI is an actual exploitation engine, with working shellcode and attacks, and is not for measuring the effect of load on your NIPS. It's also somewhat easier to use - even on Windows - and provides a very simple result: I was detected/I was not detected. The CRI has 10 levels of covertness, with two basic breakouts which enable application layer fragmentation. We suggest trying your NIDS at covertness 0 and covertness 10 and seeing the difference!

Thanks,
Dave Aitel
VP Marketing and Sales
Immunity, Inc.