IDS mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint Releases Open Source Code for FirstIntrusionPrev ention Test Tool, Tomahawk

From: ADT <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:16:02 -0800

(thread is getting long, so just going to snip the whole thing,
hopefully you kept a local copy)

Hey Greg/Marty,

I don't think anyone would argue that tcpreplay or tomahawk are
written for performance
testing of IDS or IPS.   I'm sure some people do that, but both have
rather limited use in that regards (you want to generate background
traffic using *your* network's traffic).  What tcpreplay and tomahawk
do rather well is provide the means to safely reproduce malicious
traffic for testing detection capabilities.

Unlike "live tests", tcpreplay/tomahawk don't require people to
distribute working exploit code
or attack an actual host which due to the nature of exploits will
likely have to be "fixed" in some
manner.  Unlike exploit code, there is no risk that a pcap will also
re-format your harddrive or
require you to install and configure a wide variety of operating
systems and applications to
attack.

Of course, unlike a "live test" there is some trust involved that the
pcap contains packets which
are relevant for the test you are running.   Wether or not this
precludes using either tool for being
used by someone evaluating an IDS/IPS probably depends on how much
they trust the pcaps.
For those people who don't want to trust pcaps and don't have the
means to get a library of working exploits, I'm sure Blade will be
more then happy to sell you IDS Informer (of course, now you have to
trust Blade, so you're just shifting your trust).

Of course if you already have a repository of valid pcaps (maybe
something the OSVDB guys could do?) with known attacks, then using
these tools probably make a lot of sense for certain kinds of tests.

Aaron, the tcpreplay guy

--
http://synfin.net/

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.