IDS mailing list archives

Re: amount of alarms generated by IDS

From: nick black <dank () suburbanjihad net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 05:39:45 +0000 (UTC)

On 2004-05-22, Stefano Zanero <stefano.zanero () ieee org> wrote:
The thing that amazes me is the total lack of detail about how "normal"
and "not normal" patterns of usage are defined and detected.
I can understand that the exact details of the implementation are a
trade secret, but being actively involved in research on anomaly
detection topics, I'd like to hear some details from vendors on these
technologies, at least identifying in general terms the class of
algorithms they are using.

Absolutely!  I would argue that a vendor refusing to share some depth
regarding these matters isn't worth buying from, especially given the
prices we're talking about.  For that same reason, we've maintained a
purely open-source underbase throughout development -- trust in the
components essential to our ambitions requires some translucence.

I can't speak for our official, current sales practices (or competitors'
at any time), but I have been called in to discuss methodologies with
several customers.  I'm surprised when this diligence is omitted, not to
say I'm unhappy left alone to merrily code :).

--
nick black <dank () reflexsecurity com>
"np:  nondeterministic polynomial-time