IDS mailing list archives

RE: Hi, I want to study IPS

From: "Velasquez Venegas Jaime Omar" <jaime () ulima edu pe>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:46:21 -0500

Back when I recently was exposed to IPS term , I tried to understand it
and hardly put it in a well-structured categorie of IDS.
When I got into the details each of one does , then I could find out
that there is no a unique definition for such term.
Every vendor will take the best part of other similar technologies and
will call it whatever it wants to call it.
ISS RealSecure can be defined as just an IPS or an IDS even if it has
the ability to drop/reset tcp connections? Yes and No.I mean , by
drop/resetting a connection it is not being a simple sniffer, it is
taking an action indeed.
Now,I try to stick to that IPS definition that says that IPS is:
An Inline Security Device which not only sniffers traffic as much as it
can but the WHOLE traffic goes through it.
It is able to do some action based on Intrustion Engine
(Behaviour/Signature Analysis)

Jaime Velasquez