IDS mailing list archives

Re: Windows based (H)IDS

From: Shaiful <shaifuljahari () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:52:13 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

It may seems so obvious that snort library is very
useful for detecting network based attack (HIDS or
NIDS).

Anybody knows about any work on snort library? Last
time I checked it was only SNORTRAN by Fidelis
Security but it is a commercial product.

http://packetstormsecurity.nl/papers/IDS/SNORTRAN-wp.pdf

Regards,
Shaiful

--- Bugtraq storage account <bugtrak () iquebec com>
wrote:
Not as hard to get as one would think, as I have
pretty much the same
offering, not only free but also Open Source, along
with other HIDS
techniques than simply file integrity checking.  I
also made softwares for
monitoring and analysing logs, so that other
softwares can be added to the
mix, like Snort for example, so it can be manageable
over a network.  I
know there are other freely available HIDS softwares
for Windows apart from
the ones I've made (in some cases with the help of
other people).

I also happen to have commercial versions for most
of these softwares, but
Open Source software is something I truly believe
in.

I agree with you that Snort can be set for an
individual NIC, using the -p
option, which is great because it technically
enables NIDS capabilities on
a fully encrypted network, something we are still
far from seeing as the
norm.  But still something interesting to
contemplate.

You should think about setting up a website for
distributing your tools
rather than by e-mail, it makes it easier for
everybody, including you.

My files can be downloaded from
http://securit.iquebec.com/

Adam Richard