IDS mailing list archives

RE: Correlation software

From: "Phil Hollows" <phollows () open com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 05:56:53 -0500

        [Fair Warning: I work for a security management and correlation company]

        Hi Sam & list:

        Security Threat Manager (STM) from Open (www.open.com <http://www.open.com> ) does what you're looking for,
providing real-time correlation, analysis and triage of FW, IDS, IPS, AV, VA and network events using a variety of
techniques.  It links multiple (tens or hundreds or for worms thousands) of raw events from your devices into a few
timely, actionable and relevant alerts - in other words, significant false positive reduction.  It links events to
asset values and vulnerability scans and recent event history and attack source.  It also provides extensive reporting
and analysis capabilities into attacks, correlated threats and operations performance.  We've a couple of case studies
(no registration required) on how the product works and the benefits it can bring at
http://www.open.com/pdf/STM_Case_Study_Legal_ROI.pdf <http://www.open.com/pdf/STM_Case_Study_Legal_ROI.pdf>  and
http://www.open.com/pdf/STM_Case_Study_Finance_Firewall.pdf
<http://www.open.com/pdf/STM_Case_Study_Finance_Firewall.pdf>  if you're interested.

        STM features a nightly update service that updates its internal database of exploit and vulnerability
signatures, so instead of writing rules for your correlation engine for each new potential attack vector and spending
time managing it, you are free to focus on improving policies, testing and verifying patches, ensuring that your IDS
are up to date, and otherwise working on proactive defense.  It all runs on standard hardware too, and because it uses
a "no rules" approach to correlation, it's fast to install, baseline and tune.

        Enough of the product info - I'm more than happy to continue the conversation off-list for Sam and anyone else
who's interested in product or implementation-specific detail.

        Thanks

        Phil Hollows

        VP

        OpenService Inc (www.open.com <http://www.open.com> )