IDS mailing list archives

Re: ssh and ids

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:53:58 -0400

Hey Mark,

VENDOR ALERT: I'm a vendor and I'm going to talk about my technology. Please take my comments with an appropriate amount of sodium chloride.

Sourcefire's RNA product is capable of isolating/identifying layer-7 protocols (including encrypted protocols) and tracking the flows. For example, if you wanted to find SSH/SSL traffic that it being initiated from outside your network to inside, setting up a query (or automated reporting) is pretty trivial. Hacker busts into your network and sets up an SSH server, RNA picks it up and can let you know that it detected a new service and logs the flow data, etc. Anyway, if you're interested in seeing a demo or talking more, let me know.

As far as IDS being able to do much with encrypted traffic, there's generally not much to do once the session goes encrypted. You can setup rules in a system like Snort to differentiate between "allowed" and "everyone else" hosts talking to machines on your network pretty easily (and you can query RNA's flow data for the info too).

I know the NAI guys just released a mod to their sensors that allow them to do real-time SSL decryption if you're willing to escrow the private crypto keys on the box (shudder). There's been talk of implementing the same sort of thing in Snort (ala ssldump) for a while, but it's never come together...

      -Marty