IDS mailing list archives

RE: Anomaly Based Network IDS

From: christian graf <chr.graf () gmx de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:00:08 +0200

Hi All,

an IDS should be featured with many detection-capabilities.
Just think if you are using an anomaly based IDS only? What will it tell
you in case of a attacks or compromises?
1) In the case of an unknown attack you will just see an alert, that
there is something strange happening. You neither know what its going on
nor for what kind of signs you have to look if there is an successful
compromise.
2) It may happen, that the anomaly based IDS has overseen the successful
exploit, but captured the "backdoor". Not to bad, however, you still
don't know how the attacker was able to defeat your security. And you
still don't know the vulnerability which was exploited and how to fight
against it.

As Scott says, anomaly based IDS is a real opportunity.
In my eyes it is foolish just depending on anomaly based IDS - anomaly
based intelligence is just a very useful add-on to signature-based IDS.

christian