IDS mailing list archives

RE: ssh and ids

From: <Peter_Schawacker () NAI com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:31:21 -0700

Hi Marty,

Since you were kind enough to mention us :-) I thought I would offer two
comments about what you wrote regarding SSL "key escrow" (is it really
"key escrow" when the key isn't handed to a third party?) and IDS/IPS.
First, remember that storing your web server's private key on an
external system is something that's done routinely with SSL
accelerators.  Hardware SSL accelerators are commonplace these days.
Second, we fully understand that folks are often squeamish about sharing
keys, so great care was taken to protect the private keys on the
IntruShield appliance.  We believe we have found the best possible
strategy for mitigating private key theft risk while eliminating the
SSL/NIDS "blind spot".  Through the use of public key cryptography, we
persist the key in such a way that one would need information that is
resident only in the sensor, along with information that is resident
only in the IntruShield Manager in order to recover the key. Having just
one or the other will not suffice.  I won't bore the list with the
details, but our implementation is described here:

http://www.nai.com/us/_tier2/products/_media/sniffer/wp_encr_th_prot.pdf

Should an attacker root your web server, how safe will your private keys
be?  If your IDS/IPS can't handle TCP/443 to your production web
servers, you have a blind spot where attackers can operate unseen and
unhindered.  Which is worse, copying your web servers' private keys to
your IPS to prevent a web server compromise, or being blind to attacks
against those same servers?  Frankly, I can't think of a single IDS/IPS
product that is less secure than a typical web server.  Security is all
about trade-offs.  This is not a difficult one.

You also alluded to the problem of covert channels.  I believe that the
best protection against covert channels is to stop the attacker before
the back door is installed.  Failing that, a host based IPS/firewall is
the last, strongest line of defense.

Peter Schawacker, CISSP
IPS Technical Evangelist
McAfee