IDS mailing list archives

RE: Fortinet IDS

From: "Craig Bumpstead" <cbumpste () praxsus dyndns org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:11:08 +1000

Kyle,

I put one in, at my previous place of employment, however due to budget
restrictions they were unable to purchase a Fortigate 1000, which they
needed. So when the IDS (Ver. 2.50) was turned on, the throughput wasn't
as good. So we ended up just using the AV, firewall and VPN.

In regard to a limit of 10MB for AV scanning, in my career I have never
seen a 10Mb virus, this is not to say that it isn't possible. By
imbedding a virus/Trojan in another file.

So I would suggest that you need to be careful about the load of the
device once real traffic is run through it.

I personally like them; especially that it is an all in one package. To
some that is a minus. But if redundancy is an issue then buy 2 of them
and have them in fail-over mode.

Hope this helps,
Cheers
Craig