IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS testing methodologies s tart

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 16:51:48 -0800 (PST)

hi ya mike

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 08:52, Alvin Oga wrote:
in my book ... ( small world ) .. an IDS is not very useful, because, the
cracker is already in your network ... game over ...

Don't forget that once in, you still have to get him out. If the cracker
is in, the game has only just begun. If the guy has touched more than
one system, IDS can still play a major roll here, especially your home
grown IDS systems that are tailored to your environment.

yes.. yes.. .definitely...

clarification .. "game over" was meant that the prevention and
hardening left a hole/vulnerability/exploit that was readily exploitable
by the script kiddie or determined cracker ...

yes.. the fun definitely starts when one detects a cracked box

- i'm prefer spending my time in prevention/hardening/policy/etc vs
  "detecting the cracker"
        - "detecting the cracker got in" implies you're cracked...
        ( too late in my book )

- costs ... lot cheaper to prevent the obvious vulnerabilities
        ... rough orders of magnitude of costs ...
        $ 0.01  prevention and hardening and security policy ( fun stuff )
        $ 0.10  ids and detecting  -- ( too many false alarms )
        $ 1.00  cleanup after compromizes - ( fun stuff )

- the clients or companies or home users paying the "it/security" budget
  can determine where they wanna spend their $$$ ....
        - i like it when they call for help to come clean things up ..

c ya
alvin