IDS mailing list archives

Re: TCP Flags and HEX

From: James Riden <j.riden () massey ac nz>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 13:09:33 +1300

Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com> writes:

Does anyone have a URL that gives the different hex/ascii values for the 13th
byte offset of the TCP Header and their corresponding TCP flag?

e.g. 0x02=SYN, etc.

from 'man tcpdump':

                       |C|E|U|A|P|R|S|F|
                       |---------------|
                       |7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0|

FIN, SYN, RST, PSH, ACK, URG from bit 0 upwards, and that's as far as
I typically need to know.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
James Riden / j.riden () massey ac nz / Systems Security Engineer
This post does not necessarily represent the views of my employer.

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that integrates
six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_focus-ids_040219