IDS mailing list archives

Re: How do behavioral/anomaly detection systems learn?

From: Ravi <ravivsn () roc co in>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:50:44 +0530

Hi,
      Many of recent IDS/IPS systems support mainly three kinds of detection and
protection. They are -- Pattern based -- Traffic anomaly -- Protocol anomaly.

    iGateway-InlineIPS product from Intoto provides all of above detection methods.
   One thing which I liked in that product is their Manager. It displays comprehensive
log information and provides a way to tune the rules from 'log' screens.
    Rules can be tuned to have alerts generated based on packets/time, bytes/time,
    session/time and can be tuned with Time, apart from having 5 tuple parameters.
    Thereby, for a given host/server/network and during some periods of time, the traffic
parameters can be tuned to generate alerts.
    As part of protocol anomaly, many of IDS/IPS systems provide application intelligence
    to detect RFC and implementation anomalies. This is one of the best ways to detect
buffer overflows.
  Regards
  Ravi
  Rendezvous On Chip (I) Pvt Ltd
  INDIA

Sasha Romanosky wrote:

Greetings,
In regards to "behavioral" or "anomaly" detection systems vs. pure
signature-based detection systems, I'm trying to understand how these
behavioral technologies differentiate "good" traffic from "bad" traffic.
I don't want to get into which is better, because they both have their
place, of course. What I'm trying to understand is how these behavioral
systems work, or "learn".
I have seen that this technique is not unique to intrusion detection
systems, but also appears in application firewalls (e.g. Teros) and
email virus scanners (e.g. using bayesian filtering).
With some products, I see that you configure them with specific rules,
tailored to your particular environment, and with other products, you
just point it to the network and it creates a profile all by itself.
Does this simply amount to another form of signature system, just with
more intelligent signatures? Or is it more complex than this?.

Any references (whitepapers, archives, sites, etc) explaining this
learning would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Sasha Romanosky