IDS mailing list archives

Critical Tap Device vs Homebrew Tap

From: "jose b. chua" <jose () njneuromed org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:17:24 -0500

In deploying an IDS I would like to have it monitor the traffic between the
router and firewall using a passive ethernet tap. I found a construction
guide for such a tap on the Internet by Michael Peters
(http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/). I also found several devices, rackmount or
boxed, for sale by several companies, the price range of which, for a single
tap, runs nearly $400. Can someone please explain to me what the price
differential is for?

From what I understand, the critical tap devices offer failover if the
tapping link goes dead. Now, I can modify the design in the guide to monitor
the link and have a relay switch to bypass the tap route. Is there some
additional functionality or protection the more expensive device offers?