IDS mailing list archives

open source ids list for implementation

From: gaurav_jindal () da-iict org
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:55:24 +0530 (IST)

Hi all,

I am looking for opensource code ids available
i have already worked on SNORT/ACID  and bro but

I am eaggerly looking at more statistical and gui based open source code IDS,

pls. provide me the info and links,

Regards,
Gaurav

Try to look at:

    IBM Tivoli Security Compliance Manager -
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/security-compliance-mgr/

K.

I just recently started a new job as a network security analyst and
one of my projects is to implement an intrusion detection system.
I've been doing some research and pursuing the listserv archives and
was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/opinions.

For NIDS's, I've been looking at SourceFire's commercialized version
of Snort, CISCO's IDS appliances, and McAffee's IntruShield.

For HIDS's, there appears to be three main categories:  monitoring the
host's file system, the host's network connections, and the host's log
files.
--Host's file system:  I'm looking at Tripwire Manager, Tripwire for
Servers, and Tripwire for Network Devices.

--Host's network connections:  I'm looking for an enterprise-wide
solution that we can roll out to all the Windows XP machines and
centrally manage.  Since we already use Symantec for anti-virus,
Symantec's Client Security 2.0 seems to incorporate a centrally
managed personal firewall, HIDS, and anti-virus capability.

--Host's log files:  I'm looking at implementing a centralized
syslog/syslog-ng server on a Linux box and having all Windows XP boxes
and network devices log to it.  I'd also stick the data into a MySQL
database to allow for easy querying.

I'd like to have an analysis program that would take data from the
NIDS, HIDS, syslog, and tripwire logs, put it all together, and be
able to give me some useful charts and graphical summaries so
management can see that their money was well spent in securing the
organization's
infrastructure.

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
 CORE IMPACT.
Go to
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708

to learn more.