IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS requirement

From: Jimi Thompson <jimi.thompson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:34:52 -0600

I realize that I'm a bit late here, but it's been a holiday.  We had a
similar discussion on the SNORT mailing list recently and I'll distill
it down for you.  The general concensus is that IPS is mostly
marketing hype.  Unless you are doing something to identify an attack
in progress in real time and actively doing something (i.e. modifying
a firewall rule or routing table) to stop that attack, you are not an
IPS, because you are not, by definition, preventing anything.

IDS = intrusion detection system

IPS = intrusion prevention system

HTH,

Jimi

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:28:28 -0600 (CST), skill2die4 () secguru com