IDS mailing list archives

RE: Firewall vs. IPS - Differences now (ISS, Intrushield 2.1?)

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:27:24 +0200

I think you are on pretty safe ground now with that one, Greg ;o)

12 months might be a little on the ambitious side, but the end result is
inevitable. I wrote the foreword for our IPS report (www.nss.co.uk/ips)
almost a year ago to the day, and it went to press last December,
including the following paragraph:

"So-called "deep inspection firewalls" may be where the industry is
heading in the long term, but they are simply not ready for prime-time
deployments at this point in time. Until they are, security
administrators need to make the best use of the technology that *is*
available, and for now that means a combination of firewalls, in-line
intrusion prevention devices, and intrusion detection systems."

One of the press releases that accompanied the release of the report was
more specific - it talked about the fact that the firewall guys were
busy producing their "deep inspection firewalls" whilst the IDS guys
were busy producing their new "Intrusion Prevention Systems" - both are
imperfect technologies and convergence is inevitable. Who wants to pay
for and manage two devices at the edge of the network? Who wants to
double the number of devices they have to deploy in the core of the
network?

The only REAL question is who will win the race to product the perfect
integrated device - the firewall guys or the IDS/IPS guys?

That's where you can stick your neck out ;o)

Regards,

Bob Walder
The NSS Group
www.nss.co.uk